It’s here! We are planning our second big trip. And want to try something new. I will shoot a couple of videos on our trip. It will be a challenge – I have never filmed anything more than our kids. Fingers crossed.
Our goal is Sicily. According to rough plan the trip will take 8-12 days, or maybe longer. Southern Italy we had in our minds for some time and what is more, in Camping, Cars & Caravans magazine (1/2013 and 2/2013) we have read an article on Sicily in campervan. So here we go in a similar way.
Steps before we go
- The most important question was, if the caravan has had made it through winter. It has stayed under a roof, but I am not sure if we got all the water out properly. We found absolutely perfect long-term stay for our caravan in Moravia. And during my recent check I have seen another caravan at the same place.
- For better feeling about target location it is always vital to go through couple of galleries with photos. We’ve found some very clear galleries at Caravan24 a Czech camping website.
- It is also good idea to look at long-term weather forecast on the yr.no site, hhere you can find thermal map of Europe as well.
- Another important step is 3G+ coverage of you cell phone carrier. I have found this on Italian Vodafone website and it looks decent.
Do you have experience with ferries?
26th March 2013 — I have to admit that I found very little information about traveling on a ferry with a caravan. So here we go, and there at the end of the rainbow, we will know right at the spot. But if you have some information or experience, I will be happy to listen to them! — Already solved on our trip to Sicily.
First video: After winter
Inspirational nomadic stories
If you are thinking, if nomadic life is the right way for you, I recommend you to dive into stories of people, who have blended traveling, work and family life on a regular basis.
American family in Airstream
Australian couple renting Airstreams
Examples from Czech Republic
Another nomad-flavored stories
Books important for me
Not that I would be reading books a lot, but these examples are total life-changers. Some of them I read thanks to Audible.com which is great, if you are driving a car and you don’t like to listen to the same stuff all over again. These books are not about being a nomad, more about life attitude — an attitude that brought me to nomadic lifestyle.
And my more recently recommended books for nomads and van life.
These are on bucket list
- Walter Isaacson: Steve Jobs
- Tony Hsieh: Happiness Delivered
- Tomáš Hajzler: Peníze nebo život
- Tomáš Hajzler: Svoboda v práci
- Nassim Nicholas Taleb: The Black Swan
Is freelancing really that great?
I would like to mention my view on working as an employee or as a freelancer. I recommend to read that article, if right now your employee’s hat is not a perfect fit for you. Personally, I am bit more optimistic, because I want to streamline my approach to the ideal life. Tomáš Hajzler is describing this subject really well.